- Arrive to the airport at Medellín and drive to Poblado
- Receive courses in kayak swiftwater rescue training, intermediate to advanced paddling techniques, and expedition endurance training
- Paddle sections of the Buey and San Rafael River
- Embark on multi-day kayak expedition on the Verde and Samaná River
- Visit the Colombian towns of Santa Barbara and San Francisco
- Stay overnight at Río Claro Nature Reserve Hotel
- Last night celebration & fly out of Medellín
You’ll be received at Medellín’s José María Córdoba International Airport before driving to Expedition Colombia’s headquarters to meet your guide for a gear review. Stay overnight in a hotel in the hip neighborhood of Poblado within walking distance to restaurants and music venues.
After breakfast at your hotel, head to Santa Barbara, a small town located 2 hours to the west of Medellín. The rivers of this area all drain into Colombia’s second largest river in Colombia ( he Río Magdalena is the largest river). Start the day paddling the Río Buey. The Buey flows for 27 kilometers in a remote valley. This run is the ideal place to become familiarized with paddling in Colombia’s wilderness. Return to Santa Barbara to stay overnight in a local comfortable Colombian hotel and enjoy typical Colombian food and culture.
After breakfast in town, take a short drive to Río San Juan. The San Juan River is a medium sized river that flows west of Medellín. The upper section, an exciting class 4 run, is packed with boofs and technical moves. The canyon can be quite intense, with an incredible number of drops. The guide will only instruct on the upper section if levels are extremely low and the group’s skill level is appropriate. Otherwise, get ready for a fun day paddling the lower section of the San Juan (class 3+).
After breakfast in town, talk to your guide about what section (the Buey or San Juan) you prefer to paddle. Check water levels to paddle the upper section. After lunch in town, drive back to your hotel in Medellín.
After breakfast, meet your bi-lingual professional adventure guide at Expedition Colombia office near to Poblado (Cra. 43e #11-13, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia). Drive to the canyon of Río Verde, located in the east side of Medellín near the small town of San Francisco. Visit a traditional Colombian village and enjoy lunch at a traditional restaurant in San Francisco. From the village, hike for around two hours while mules transport your gear. At the river, refresh with a swim and take-in a river safety talk. Paddle with your experienced instructor on a verdant river surrounded by tropical jungle. Get ready for the best granite bedrock creeking in Antioquia, Colombia. What also makes this river unique in Colombia is how ideal it is for fishing as you can see the fish swim in the translucent water. Visit lagoons, secluded beaches, and waterfalls. Encounter tropical animals and birds. Camp in sheltered hammocks and enjoy French-Colombian inspired fresh meals cooked on the open campfire by the river.
Enjoy breakfast at camp. Continue kayaking the Río Verde and enjoy 10 foots waves! The intermediate white-water is exciting, yet manageable, as the major rapids flow into inviting, natural swimmable pools. At the end of the second day, arrive at Puente Samaná, the only road access over the river. Drive 20 minutes to Río Claro Nature Reserve, a renown ecolodge in the heart of the rainforest nature preserve surrounded by the marble canyon of the Río Claro River. Stay in a room suspended over the rainforest canopy and enjoy the reserve’s onsite restaurant.
After breakfast at Río Claro Nature Reserve, drive 20 minutes to the put-in of the Samaná River, our all-time favorite Expedition Colombia adventure. Get ready for a captivating river expedition packed with natural wonders and 40 km of exhilarating white-water (Class 4). On your first day on the river, paddle through a silver-blue rock canyon. Camp overnight in sheltered hammocks in the rainforest, close to a secluded lagoon and natural swimming pool.
After a campfire breakfast, continue to paddle the Samaná River through boulder gardens and canyon sections (Class 4). The Samaná River’s world-class whitewater is only matched by her stunning scenery. Her warm waters crash over granite boulder fields and intensify in a grey-blue canyon. Clear creeks and waterfalls cascade from high mountain peaks into swimming pools. An awe-inspiring diversity of rare birds and butterflies inhabit this lowland tropical rainforest. Admire tropical plants and birds and enjoy lunch on a secluded beach. Camp overnight in sheltered hammocks in the rainforest, close to a secluded lagoon and natural swimming pool.
After a campfire breakfast, continue to paddle the Samaná River. To complete Samaná’s 40 km course, finish off the day with thrilling pool drops (Class 4). Paddle and take out at “Narrises”, a small Colombian village. Enjoy a walk to a waterfall while a traditional fish dish is prepared for you at a local restaurant. Drive 4 hours to Medellín, the city of eternal spring, to celebrate your last night in the heart of Medellín’s hippest, cosmopolitan neighborhood, the Poblado. Stay overnight in a hotel in Poblado.
- Expert bilingual kayak instructor (languages: Spanish, French, English)
- River hydrology and river running technical training
- Wilderness endurance and expedition training
- Kayak Swiftwater Rescue training
- Airport pickup and drop-off
- Professional bi-lingual driver for in-country travel
- All accommodation
- Water & all breakfasts & lunches
- Dinners are only included on overnight wilderness trips. Our guides are happy to offer dinner recommendations based on your preference and budget
- Constant communication and recommendations from Expedition Colombia team based in Medellín
- Celebrate your adventure with relaxing overnight stays at Río Claro Nature Reserve Hotel
- Enjoy dining out or sharing a gourmet meal with a Colombian family with all breakfasts and lunches included
- On overnight wilderness trips, all meals are prepared for by a French cook
- Treated water is offered to guests, please bring a refillable water bottle or opt to purchase bottled water
- Excellent vegetarian, vegan, gluten- free, and other dietary options
- During your visit in San Augustin, stay in comfortable hotels located in cultural centers nearby the best selection of traditional and contemporary cuisine
- On wilderness trips, camp in sheltered hammocks at jungle camps
- Appropriate clothing: shorts or bathing suit, long lightweight pants and breathable shirt, sunglasses, hat, sandals or adjustable tennis shoes (no flip flop sandals)
- Extra clothes (end of the activity)
- Refillable water bottle
- All equipment (*ask for gear rental option): kayak, paddle, life jacket, helmet, spray skirt, dry top, layers, board shorts, good river shoes (high heel), light sleeping bag, hammock, tarp, mosquito net, dry bags (2 twenty liter + 1 ten liter minimum)
Safety: Basic first aid kit, 20 meters throw bag, 3 beaners, 2 prussic, allergy medications.
PRICE & RESERVATION
Medellin’s Special is open from November to June.
Joined group of 3+
2 Person Private
Kayaks and paddling gear are available for rental for $250 USD.
100% deposit must be made 2 weeks before the trip, for last minute payment and reservation request contact Expedition Colombia. All payment must be done through our booking platform, or via a deposit in our Bancolombia bank account.
*All our prices above do not include IVA.
- According to the Colombia tax system, foreigners are exempted for the IVA.
- For Colombian residents, citizens and foreigners living in Colombia for more than 6 months, 50% of the total IVA will be charged and the other half will be covered by the company.
- For companies or agencies, the total IVA will be charged.