- Meet your guides at our adventure cafe Cra. 43e #11-13, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia at 8 a.m. & drive to Samana Watershed area
- First kayak trip on the cristal clear water of the Santo Domingo River (Class 1 flat water)
- Learn basic paddling strokes, how to maintain balance in your boat, and how to steer your boat
- Once you have mastered a “wet exit” and practiced river rescue techniques, you will kayak more and more difficult rapids
- Stay overnight in beautiful Finca above the river and close to the charming, inviting town of San Francisco
- Demonstrate your learning kayaking a Class 1 and 2 rivers. Full day river trip on the Santo Domingo river – The classic section!
After breakfast at your hotel, meet your guide at our adventure cafe Cra. 43e #11-13, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia at 8 a.m. Start your day with an introduction to all the gear. Select the appropriate sizes of equipment and outfit your kayak. First, practice your paddle stroke on a calm sect and learn some new paddle strokes and boat steering techniques. Paddle to a small island for a delicious lunch. Enjoy the afternoon progressively kayaking onmore complex rapids, under the close supervision of your instructor. At the end of the day, relax in our Finca with a stunning view and a pool!
After fresh food and fruit for breakfast at the reserve, head to the river for your first kayak full day run on whitewater! Learn how to read the currents and anticipate how they will impact your kayak. In a calm pool in the river, learn how to do a roll and many other river rescue techniques. Your guide will be close by you to help you at any time as you are learning how to safely leave your boat in the event that you flip in the river. Learn about the different type of hydraulics and the potential hazards of a river, so you learn how to identify similar features in other rivers and skillfully and safely navigate rivers. Have a snack by the river and enjoy the day paddling the river with your guide at your own pace to truly learn how to improve your kayak skills and increase your confidence on the river. After a 2 hours drive, arrive to Cra. 43e #11-13, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia by 7 p.m. * arrival time may vary.
Extend your trip by 1 day and 1 night to continue to kayak down other sections of the Rio Guatapé. Change area by driving for 2 hours and spend a restful night at Reserva Zafra Touristica. You may be ready to head to the river with confidence to paddle a whole section of river! We will drive to the upper Rio Guatapé put in, an 8 km stretch of class 2/3 whitewater. Get ready for a full day of adventure in a beautiful natural setting with water that is crystal clear and rapids that form from white round granite boulders. This is when you will realize the magic of kayaking as a means for exploration to pristine environments. Enjoy lunch on the river. Towards the end of the river, there are two small drops, which gives you the occasion to try your first waterfall! Return to Reserva Zafra Turística for a shower and a snack before driving back to Medellin. After a 2 ½ hour drive, arrive to Cra. 43e #11-13, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia by 7 p.m. * arrival time may vary.
- All transportation and equipment
- Experienced and certified professional bilingual raft guides (languages: Spanish, French, English)
- Colombian insurance
- Water, snacks, drinks, and meals with excellent vegetarian, vegan, gluten- free, and other dietary options
- Accommodation at our Finca with private pool!
- Enjoy dining out in a traditional Colombian restaurant in Guatapé and savoring the fresh meals Reserva Zafra Touristica
- At the permaculture in San Rafael, experience comfortable lodging in pristine environments with onsite restaurant. On day trips enjoy lunches and snacks prepared by a French chef or local, Colombian cooks.
- Excellent vegetarian, vegan, gluten- free, and other dietary options* ask ahead of time
- Treated water is offered to guests, please bring a refillable water bottle or opt to purchase bottled water
- Kayak Rental Option: Kayak, paddle, life jacket, helmet, spray skirt, dry top, layers, board shorts, good river shoes (closed toe or booties)
- On the river: Lightweight long sleeve shirts / pants, sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses, solid pair of shoes
- To Relax: a pair of dry shoes, blanket, clothes for 7 days, rain jacket, bug repellent, sunglasses, headlamp
PRICE & RESERVATION
Joined group of 3+
2 Person Private
Kayak and gear is included and kayak school is open all year.
100% deposit must be made 3 days before the trip, for last minute payment and reservation request contact Expedition Colombia. All payment must be done through our booking platform, or via a deposit in our Bancolombia bank account.
*All our prices above do not include IVA.
- According to the Colombia tax system, foreigners are exempted for the IVA.
- For Colombian residents, citizens and foreigners living in Colombia for more than 6 months, 50% of the total IVA will be charged and the other half will be covered by the company.
- For companies or agencies, the total IVA will be charged.