- The journey starts in Bogotá, where we quickly leave from the city with your paddling guide and professional driver to travel to the backcountry roads of Boyacá, near the town of Villavicencio
- In Boyacá access a boulder garden whitewater run aided by mules that transport your gear
- The second part of the trip leads us to Tobia, a vibrant village located 3 hours from Bogotá
- Tobia boasts incredible creeking, locked up in deep canyon
- Tobia is also the home of an enthusiastic local whitewater community of paddlers and rafters
- Next, the adventure takes us to the mountainous valleys of Antioquia, the whitewater mecca of Colombia
- Our main objective here is to follow the source of the Samaná river to the confluence of the Río Magdalena
- This expedition takes you to the heart of a pristine rainforest and canyon. Begin paddling on low volume creeking to a progressively challenging and exciting high volume water (class IV+)
- Travel to Medellin to celebrate the end of your journey Colombia’s adventure capital
- Fly from Medellin to Bogotá (Flight not included)
You’ll be received at Bogotá’s El Dorado International Airport airport. Meet your guide/instructor for outfitting & an introduction of Colombia’s rivers. Drive to Villavicencio (3 ½ hours) and stay overnight at a camp near the town of Boyacá.
After a Colombian breakfast in Boyacá, head from the main highway to paddle the Río Guayuriba.The Guayuriba is born from the merging of the Río Blanco and the Río Negro. Enjoy a class 3 to 4 run that is ideal for your first experience on Colombian whitewater. Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp.
After a campfire breakfast, begin your day paddling the Río Blanco. The Blanco starts high up in the mountains with crystal clear water and a dry climate. This class 3 to 4 run is fairly continuous, with many good boof spots and technical drops. Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp.
After a campfire breakfast, begin the day paddling fun and challenging Río Negro. Río Negro is a low volume class 4 run in a boulder garden with small waterfall drops. Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp.
After a campfire breakfast, begin the day paddling the Río Ariari. The upper Ariari is only accessible by a small trail going up the valley for about 5 kilometers. Use mules to carry kayaks to the put in, a small bridge over the Río Azul, a tributary of the Ariari. Paddle this ultra fun low volume class 4 creek for about 1 kilometre. Arrive at the confluence with the Ariari, where we switch to a big water day. Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp.
After a campfire breakfast, transfer to the adventure town of Tobia. Kayak the commercial section of the Río Negro. After kayaking, enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of this small adventure town. Tobia probably has the highest concentration of boaters. Stay overnight in comfortable hotel in Tobia.
After breakfast at your hotel, kayak a new section on Río Negro. Depending on water levels, we will choose from the upper or canyon section. Stay overnight in comfortable hotel in Tobia
After breakfast at your hotel, prepare for a multi-day expedition. In preparation for expedition we study the topology and hydrology of the area. Also, we will select the right gear and the right amount of food. Drive 3 ½ hours to Antioquia. Stay overnight in a wilderness camp.
After a campfire breakfast, hike for 2 hours to the Río Santo Domingo Canyon. Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp in pristine jungle.
- After a campfire breakfast, paddle the Río Santo Domingo (Class 3 to 4) Paddle to the confluence with the Río Verde
- What makes this river unique in Colombia is how ideal it is for fishing as you can see the fish swim in the translucent water
- Experience captivating intermediate whitewater
- Visit lagoons, secluded beaches, and waterfalls
- Encounter tropical animals and birds
- Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp in pristine jungle
- After a campfire breakfast, paddle to Samaná Bridge (Class 3 to 4 bigwater)
- Enjoy lunch in the village of San Luis
- Resupply for food at San Luis
- Start paddling down the Samaná in the afternoon (Class 4)
- Enjoy paddling this river with the first kayakers to pioneer this river river by raft and kayak. On your first day on the river, travel through to silver-blue rock canyon
- Camp overnight in sheltered hammocks in the rainforest, close to a secluded lagoon and natural swimming pool
- The Rio Samana is under threat of dam construction. By joining the trip you contribute to the conservation effort
- After a campfire breakfast, paddle the unique Río Samaná
- Get ready for a captivating river expedition packed with natural wonders and 40 km of exhilarating white-water
- Stay overnight in sheltered hammocks at a wilderness camp in pristine jungle beside a secluded waterfall and natural pool
- After a campfire breakfast, continue paddling the Samaná River
- Paddle and take out at “Narrises”, a small Colombian village
- Enjoy a walk to a waterfall while a traditional fish dish is prepared for you at a local restaurant
- Drive 4 hours to Medellin, the city of eternal spring, to celebrate in the warm climate and warm “Paisa” culture
- Stay at a boutique hotel located in the heart of Medellin’s hippest, cosmopolitan neighborhood, the Poblado to celebrate your last night in Colombia
- After breakfast at your hotel, receive an airport drop-off to Medellin’s José María Córdova International Airport
- There are frequent connecting flights to Bogotá’s El Dorado International Airport airport
- Professional bilingual kayak guide/instructor (languages: Spanish, English, French)
- Instructor with over a decade of experience and wilderness first aid and Swiftwater rescue certified
- Classes on river hydrology, route-finding, expedition kayaking, basic rope work, and rescue techniques
- All accommodation and camping equipment
- Constant communication and recommendations from Expedition Colombia team based in Medellin
- Water, breakfasts & lunches
- Dinners are only included on wilderness trips (Day 2 to 12)
- Our guides are happy to offer dinner recommendations based on your preference and budget
- Kayak equipment: kayak, paddle, PFD, helmet, spray skirt, dry top, layers, board shorts, good river shoes (closed toe approach shoes or booties), light sleeping bag or light blanket, hammock, tarp, mosquito net, dry bags (2 twenty litre + 1 ten litre minimum)
- Safety equipment: Basic first aid kit, 20 meters throw bag, 3 beaners, 2 prussic, allergy medications
- Basics: lightweight long sleeve shirts/pants, rain jacket, bug repellent, sunglasses, SPF, sun-hat, good hiking shoes, refillable water bottle, photocopy of I.D., vaccinations
- Gear Rentals available upon request
- Enjoy dining out and sharing a gourmet meal with a Colombian family in Medellin and surrounding towns
- On overnight wilderness trips, all meals are prepared for by a Colombian cook
- Treated water is offered to guests, please bring a refillable water bottle or opt to purchase bottled water
- Excellent vegetarian, vegan, gluten- free, and other dietary options
- During your visits in Medellin, stay in comfortable, boutique hotels located in cultural centers nearby the best selection of traditional and contemporary cuisine
- On wilderness trips, camp in sheltered hammocks at jungle camps
PRICE & RESERVATION
Joined group of 3+
1 Person Private
2 Person Private
3 Person Private
For larger groups and groups who want to customize the trip, please contact us directly for the price.
100% deposit must be made 3 days before the trip, for last minute payment and reservation request contact Expedition Colombia. All payment must be done through our booking platform, or via a deposit in our Bancolombia bank account.
*All our prices above do not include IVA.
- According to the Colombia tax system, foreigners are exempted for the IVA.
- For Colombian residents, citizens and foreigners living in Colombia for more than 6 months, 50% of the total IVA will be charged and the other half will be covered by the company.
- For companies or agencies, the total IVA will be charged.