- Arrive to the airport at Popoyan and approx. drive 4 hours San Agustín
- Visit the Pre-Colombian archeological site at San Agustín
- Receive courses in kayak swiftwater rescue training, intermediate to advanced paddling techniques, and expedition endurance training
- Paddle 7 sections of the Magdalena River and the Río Mazamorra
- Enjoy cultural and gastronomy highlights in Popoyan
- Drive from San Agustín to Popayan
After your domestic flight to Popoyan, receive an airport pick-up at the closest major airport to San San Agustín, Guillermo León Valencia Airport in Popayan. If you are flying internationally, speak with us to make your travel arrangements from Cali’s Alfonso Bonilla Aragón International Airport. Depending on your flight arrival time, join your guide to drive 137 km, about 4 hours 20 minutes, to San Agustín. Stay overnight in San Augustine at a comfortable, Colombian hotel and enjoy gourmet restaurants within walking distance to your hotel.
After breakfast at your hotel, visit the San Agustín Archaeological Park. After lunch with your guide, become introduced to the expedition itinerary, review your gear, and pack for your rafting trip. In the afternoon, drive twenty minutes to the put-in to get your first taste of Colombian whitewater on the Magdalena and enjoy a scenic float in the jungle on fun class 2 to 3 rapids. Return to San Agustín and enjoy the many Colombian restaurants within walking distance from your hotel.
After breakfast at your hotel, gear up for a day adventure rafting the Middle Section of the Río Magdalena. This intermediate section (Class 3) has many fun rapids that all run into swimmable pools, which is ideal for your first day on the river. Return to San Agustín and enjoy the many Colombian restaurants within walking distance from your hotel.
After breakfast at your hotel, gear up for a day adventure paddling the Estrecho Section of the Río Magdalena. This beautiful big water section is mostly Class 3 rapids with a few challenging Class 4 rapids.Here, the Magdalena flows deep into a steep canyon and there are many beautiful waterfalls cascading down tall walls. Under the professional guidance of your raft instructor, review river rescue techniques learned the day before. Return to San Agustín and enjoy the many Colombian restaurants within walking distance from your hotel.
After breakfast at your hotel, check in with your team of guides about the day’s plan. Depending on the water level, today you will be paddling the Río Somberio, an extremely fun low volume class 3 run. Another option is Río Naranjos, low volume creek ideally steps up for numerous fun drops and technical moves. Your final option is to paddle the Lower Section of the Río Mazamorras, a 17km whitewater run packed with fun moves that will get your heart beating (class 3 to 4). Return to San Agustín and enjoy the many Colombian restaurants within walking distance from your hotel.
After a campfire breakfast, begin a 2 days kayak expedition on the Río Magdalena, Colombia’s largest river. Load in a comfortable 4*4 truck and head to Qinchana, a small ” Vereda” village at the end of the road. Access the upper Río Magdalena just 40 kilometers from its source. From there, 60 kilometers of pristine whitewater awaits! Camp in sheltered hammocks at our jungle camp and enjoy French-Colombian inspired fresh meals cooked on the open campfire by the river.
Wake up in the jungle and after a campfire breakfast, continue your journey downstream and stop at times to explore a side creek. Take time to experience the astonishing biodiversity and local ecosystems. Enjoy world class whitewater while improving on your technical moves with guided instruction. Return to your hotel in San Augustin and enjoy local restaurants within walking distance to your hotel.
After breakfast at your hotel, meet your guide for a final day of world-class whitewater paddling. Head to the Río Mazamorra and use the skills you’ve learned this week! Stop halfway for a traditional “carne asada” cooked on the fire. At the end of the day, drive back to the village for a gourmet dinner and your last night of celebration. Stay overnight in your hotel.
- After breakfast at your hotel, recieve an airport drops off to the closest major airport to San Augustine, Guillermo León Valencia Airport in Popoyan (4 hours and 20 min drive).
- If you are flying internationally, speak with us to make your travel arrangements from Cali Alfonso Bonilla Aragón International Airport (6 hours drive).
- All accommodation
- Expert bilingual kayak instructor (languages: Spanish, French, English)
- River hydrology and river running technical training
- Wilderness endurance and expedition training
- Kayak Swiftwater Rescue training
- Airport pickup and drop-off
- Professional bi-lingual driver for in-country travel
- Water & all breakfasts & lunches
- Dinners are only included on overnight wilderness trips. Our guides are happy to offer dinner recommendations based on your preference and budget
- Constant communication and recommendations from Expedition Colombia team based in Medellin
- Appropriate clothing: shorts or bathing suit, long lightweight pants and breathable shirt, sunglasses, hat, sandals or adjustable tennis shoes (no flip flop sandals)
- Extra clothes (end of the activity)
- Refillable water bottle
- All equipment (*ask for gear rental option): kayak, paddle, life jacket, helmet, spray skirt, dry top, layers, board shorts, good river shoes (high heel), light sleeping bag, hammock, tarp, mosquito net, dry bags ( 2 twenty litre + 1 ten litre minimum)
Safety: Basic first aid kit, 20 meter throw bag, 3 beaners, 2 prussic, allergy medications
- Enjoy dining out or sharing a gourmet meal with a Colombian family with all breakfasts and lunches included
- On overnight wilderness trips, all meals are prepared for by a your guide
- Treated water is offered to guests, please bring a refillable water bottle or opt to purchase bottled water
- Excellent vegetarian, vegan, gluten- free, and other dietary options
- Stay in comfortable hotels in San Augustin located in cultural centers nearby the best selection of traditional and contemporary cuisine
- On wilderness trips, camp in sheltered hammocks at jungle camps
PRICE & RESERVATION
Joined group of 3+
2 Person Private
Kayaks and gear are available for rental for $250 USD per person.
100% deposit must be made 2 weeks before the trip, for last minute payment and reservation request contact Expedition Colombia. All payment must be done through our booking platform, or via a deposit in our Bancolombia bank account.
*All our prices above do not include IVA.
- According to the Colombia tax system, foreigners are exempted for the IVA.
- For Colombian residents, citizens and foreigners living in Colombia for more than 6 months, 50% of the total IVA will be charged and the other half will be covered by the company.
- For companies or agencies, the total IVA will be charged.