- Drive from Medellin to the town of Guatapé (approx. 2 hours)
- Art and architecture tour of the historic town of Guatapé, the most colorful town in Colombia
- With the luxury option, take a peaceful boat ride around the numerous islands of the lake
- Drive from the town to the rock of “El Peñol”
- Climb the 649 steps of the El Peñol Rock to admire the classic view of Guatapé Lake reservoir
- Option to arrange a 2-3 hours bicycle tour in Guatapé ahead of time
After breakfast, meet your bilingual professional cultural guide at 8 a.m. at our Medellin office (Cra. 43e #11-13, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia), and drive 2 hours to the town of Guatapé. Learn on the way about the cultural and economic history of “El Oriente Antioqueno”. Hear about the recent stories of development of this region, from the construction of dams for hydroelectric power, the history of Pablo Escobar and narcos, and Colombia’s armed conflict. Next, visit the historic town of Guatapé, the most colorful town in Colombia, and admire the town’s beautiful artwork along the lower half of its buildings. Discover the historic meaning of the art work and learn how development changed the livelihood of the villagers. Take in stunning vistas of the dazzling monolith (a huge stone block), composed of feldspar, mica and quartz, known as “El Peñol”, and drive from the town to the rock. Upon your arrival at the rock, climb the 649 steps of the El Peñol Rock to admire the classic view of Guatapé Lake reservoir. Return to your hotel in Poblado, Medellín by 5 p.m.
With the luxury option, take a peaceful boat ride around the numerous islands of the lake.
To arrange a 2-3 hours bicycle tour in Guatapé, please ask us ahead of time to arrange a bilingual cycling guide with great instructor experience and gear rental. You may choose between mountain biking on a dirt road or road cycling on a paved road. Return to your hotel in Poblado, Medellín by 5 p.m.
- Transport from Medellín to Guatapé with a professional, bilingual guide
- All entrance fees at Guatapé lake and rock
- Snacks, 1 non-alcoholic beverage, and lunch
- Walking art and architecture tour with bilingual tour guide
- Colombian insurance
- Private small boat tour for luxury option
- Passport (not a copy)
- Small day pack
- Appropriate clothing for temperatures in the 70s
- walking shoes, light-weight pants
- Sunscreen, sunhat, repellent
- Refillable water bottle and daypack
- Lunch is not included but we will provide recommendations for all budgets, preferences and dietary restrictions